This is currently Abi’s favourite meal (unfortunately I hate Tuna, so it’s a meal that George and Abi can enjoy together!!!)
I wanted a meal that I could make from food I always had in my pantry, and was super quick and easy. When searching the net for a recipe, I fell upon this one. I’ve made some additions to add some extra vegies for Abi!
- 1 cup macaroni pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 185g can tuna in spring water, drained
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped (if you have it, I often don’t have enough in my garden).
- 1/2 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 410g can corn kernals (drained)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Any other vegies you have in the fridge (chopped and steamed)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to the boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in mustard, cheese, tuna, peas, corn (and any other vegies) and pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden.