So you’ve worked hard over the past months to improve your health and fitness, to feel good for summer. And then summer is upon us, which means the festive season. It is a difficult time of year to find time for both exercise and eating well. It is just so easy to indulge at all those Christmas parties, and not feel up to exercising the next day! So here are some tips to survive the silly season:
- Plan each week; know when you are busy and when you can fit in some exercise. This might be walking to the shops/work, or set aside time for a Shape Up Mums session/swim/run/etc.
- Don’t attend a cocktail party on an empty stomach! If you ensure that you have eaten yoghurt or some fruit prior to attending a party, you will curb your hunger and will help you ‘think before you eat!!’
- Don’t, don’t, don’t have seconds!! When attending a lunch or dinner, simply eat your serve but don’t go back for seconds. By the time you have nibbles, entrée, main and dessert you will have eaten enough food to last you for the day!
- Remember alcohol counts! It is so easy at this time of year to enjoy a few drinks, which also increases your chance of overeating! It is important to remember that alcohol is high in calories and definitely counts at the end of the day!!
- Pace yourself. All that yummy food makes it very tempting to go crazy, but try and pace yourself. Perhaps alternate between something from the antipasto platter and a carrot/celery stick just to slow you down!
- If you are catering yourself for a function, ensure you have some healthy options. Carrot and celery sticks with some low-fat tzatziki or hummus is a great nibble, that everyone will enjoy. At this time of year, a beautiful fresh fruit platter with some yoghurt is a great alternative for dessert.