Now that we are experiencing some cooler weather, it feels like soup weather!! We’ve been enjoying a range of different soups at homes, so I thought I would share some.
This soup freezes really well. I often find it thickens if left, which makes a great consistency for little ones. We simply add additional water to liquefy the soup.
1 large leek, sliced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 medium potato, diced
1 medium parsnip, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 Cobbs of corn, corn removed
2 garlic cloves, crushed.
½ cup soup mix (mixture of dried split peas, lentils and barley), rinsed.
400g skinless chicken thighs (remove any excess fat)
1 tbsp olive oil
3 ½ cups of chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add leek, carrot, potato, parsnip, zucchini, corn and garlic.
- Cook stirring occasionally for about 5minutes, or until leek has softened.
- Add soup mix, chicken thighs and stock.
- Cover saucepan, increased heat and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer soup for 2 hours (stirring occasionally).
- Remove chicken from saucepan, and break up any large pieces of chicken. Then return to soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste.