This was one of Abi’s favourite meals, and is now Milly’s. It is simple to make, and freezes really well. Milly has been enjoying this since she was about 8 months old. And she still loves it at 10 months! Plus the sauce works well over macaroni or larger pasta, so that Abi can still enjoy it (as a back up meal!!)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3-4 tomatoes (skin removed), chopped (alternatively, I have used tinned chopped tomatoes when I don’t have time!)
50g cheddar cheese, grated
2-4 tbsp. risoni pasta (initially I use 2 tbsp, and then increase as she became older)
1. Place the carrots in a medium saucepan and cover with boiling water (just so that carrots are covered with water). Boil for 15 minutes, until carrots are tender
2. Add the tomatoes to the carrot and water. If you are using fresh tomatoes you will need to come them until they are soft and mushy (canned tomatoes need to be warmed through).
3. In a separate small saucepan, cook the risoni pasta in boiling water as per instructions on packet.
4. Puree the carrots and tomatoes to your desired consistency (depending on your babies level).
5. Add the cheese to carrot and tomato mixture, and stir until the cheese is melted. Once the past is cooked, drain and add to the cheese mixture.
Sally Muir – Dietitian.