200g red lentils
120g parmesan cheese – cut into pieces
2 aubergines (400g)
50g olive oil
1 large onion – cut into quarters (200g)
3 garlic cloves
1 pepper (red or green) – cut into pieces (150g)
400g peeled tomatoes – canned, including liquid
120g red wine (optional – I use veggie stock and water instead)
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp ginger – ground
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
40g butter – plus some extra
- Place red lentils and 500g water into a bowl and soak for 1 hour.
- Place parmesan cheese into mixing bowl, grate 10sec/speed 10. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut aubergines into round slices (1cm) and place them into Varoma dish. Make sure that some holes are not covered so that steam passes through.
- Place olive oil, onion, garlic cloves and pepper into mixing bowl, chop 5 sec/speed 5.
- Add peeled tomatoes, chop 2 sec/speed 5.
- Add red wine (or stock), oregano, ginger, salt and pepper into mixing bowl. Place Varoma into position, steam 20 min/Varoma/reverse/speed 1. Set Varoma aside.
- Add drained lentils, cook 5 min/100/reverse/speed 2. While cooking, place all the aubergine slices into a buttered casserole dish. Then cover them with lentil mixture. No need to clean TM bowl.
- Place butter, milk and flour into mixing bowl and cook 8 min/90/NOT reverse/speed4.
- Add 60g of grated parmesan cheese to sauce and mix 5 sec/speed 4. Cover lentil layer with sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place moussaka in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 30 mins. Cut moussaka into squares and serve hot.