I made these for Abi’s birthday this year, we had a family picnic in the Botanic gardens. They are really simple to make, and are lovely warm/room temperature which makes them a great option to make ahead of time!
1 tbsp. olive oil
6 rashers of short cut bacon (fat trimmed), diced
1 1/2 cups of thickened cream
125g gruyere cheese, grated
3 large eggs
salt and pepper
Frozen puff pastry sheets (thawed)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Heat a large frypan, and add the olive oil and bacon. Fry until bacon is lightly colour, place on absorbent paper towel to absorb excess oil.
3. While the bacon is frying, whisk the eggs, cheese, cream and salt/pepper in a medium sized bowl.
4. Using a scone cutter, or a cup as a stencil cut out pastry rounds to fit a mini muffin (patty cake or muffin) baking tray.
5. Lightly spray the tray with cooking oil, and press each pastry round into the muffin/cake holes.
6. Spoon the bacon between the pastry rounds, and top up with the egg and cheese mixture.
7. Cook in over for around 10 minutes, until lightly coloured and pastry is puffed.