We have always loved French Onion Soup. However it has a special place in our hearts, as we enjoy the most amazing bowl of this soup when we were last in Paris. It always brings back those memories!
French Onion Soup
(from Donna Hay: Modern Classics Book 1)
8 large onions, sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp brandy
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
8 cups beef stock
2 cups of water
6 slices of good quality sourdough bread
Gruyere cheese, grated
1. Place the onions, butter, olive oil and thyme in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 30-35minutes, stirring occasionally until golden.
2. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the brandy, and cook for one minutes. Add remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 15minutes.
4. Toast bread. Fill bowls with soup, place bread on top and sprinkle cheese on top generously.
5. Place bowls under the griller until cheese has melted, remove from heat and serve(beware bowls can be very hot).
Sally – Dietitian