Another winter warming soup, an easy recipes that cooks itself!
1 brown onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 bay leaves
1.5kg ham hocks
2.5L of water
2 cups of green split peas
1. Add everything EXCEPT the green peas to a large saucepan, brig to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 hours.
3. Add the peas, and simmer for a further 30 minutes until the peas are soft.
4. Remove the ham hocks from the pan, and shred the meat finely. Discard the bones and skin, and remove the bay leaves.
5. With a stick blender (bar mix) pulse the soup until approximately half of the peas have been blended.
6. Add the ham meat to the soup, and heat through.
Sally Muir – Dietitian