These Hot Cross Buns are a perfect easter treat without the guilt attached!
Makes appoximately 10 Buns.
250g Wholemeal Flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup of sultanas or currants
1/2 cup of low – fat milk ( I used Almond Milk)
2 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup ( I used Rice Syrup)
2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
2 eggs ( 1 for the glaze)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 orange, zested
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Place the flour, Cinnamon, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda and sultanas in a large bowl and mix together.
- Place the milk, rice syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract, orange zest and one egg in another bowl and whisk.
- Slowly add the wet mix to the dry mix and fold until combined and a sticky dough is formed.
- Flour up a clean work bench and turn the dough out, divide the dough into equal sized peices and form the dough into round buns and place onto the baking tray.
- whisk the second egg and lightly brush the top of the buns with the egg to glaze.
- to make the cross: mix 1 tbsp of coconut oil ( I melted mine but it made it too runny) mix in 1 tbsp of cacao powder to make a thick paste, spoon into a zip lock bag and cut a small bit off one of the corners of the bag . Pipe a cross ontop of the buns.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy fresh and warm from the oven or toasted under the grill for brekkie the next day!
Happy Easter x
(Recipe Courtesy of Kayla Itsines)