This is a favourite of lots of mums, its such a quick versatile meal. Plus it can be enjoyed by little ones, and pureed up for babies too.
We add lots of vegies to ours too, so its very colourful! Always a sign of a great meal!
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions chopped
750g minced lamb
2 tbsp plain flour
1 cup beef stock (low salt if sharing with babies)
2 cups of mixed diced vegetables (carrot, peas, corn, celery, capsicum etc)
2 tbsp tomato paste (low salt if sharing with babies)
2 tsp Worcestshire sauce (omit if sharing with babies)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh thyme
salt and pepper (omit if sharing with babies)
300g potatoes chopped and peeled
450g sweet potato chopped and peeled
1/4 cup of milk
20g of butter
pinch of cayenne pepper
1. In a large frying pan heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat and cook onions (and carrots/celery) until soft and golden, remove from pan.
2. Heat remaining oil in frying pan and add lamb, cook until browned (breaking up any lumps).
3. Sprinkle the flour over the lamb, and stir through cooked lamb for 1 minutes. Remove from heat and add the stock, stir until blended together.
4. Heat until liquid is boiling, stir continuously until liquid has thickened.
5. Add the onion, all other vegetables, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme to the pan. Season wit salt and pepper.
6. Meanwhile place chopped potato and sweet potato into a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 15-20min, or until tender.
7. Drain potato, mash with butter and milk until smooth.
8. Transfer meat mixture into large overproof dish, top with potato mash and fluff up with a fork.
9. Option – to add butter to the top of the potato mixture, and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
10. Bake for 30-35minutes at 180 degrees.